Rio Mar at Playa Dominical - It is a small surfers place and the gate way of La Osa Peninsula, the nature paradise of Costa Rica. Rio Mar is a medium sized sustainable and comfortable eco lodge. Situated amidst tropical gardens and forestry, on walking distance to Dominical beach, and right on the banks of the river “Baru”. Rio Mar is located nearby to the 5 important and grandest national parks (Manuel Antonio, Marine Ballena, Chirripo, Corcovado and Cano Island), in those national parks our visitors can enjoy the lovely grey sandy beaches, the grandest adventures in the rain and tropical forest, as well as exciting jungle landscapes, all without traveling long distances from Hotel Rio Mar
A resort in Polynesian style, offering a perfect combination of comfort, nature, and adventure. With four National Parks and three Reserves in the vicinity Dominical is a unique central location for day trips. The area is well known for its surfing, canopying, rafting, whale watching, and birding.
Checking in means; you will disappear, out of normal life, obsessed by adventure and absorbed by nature. There are plans to open a new international airport about 70 KM from the Hotel.
The hotel comprises 6.6 hectare of land (17 acres), in front of the lush tropical river ‘Baru’ and approximately 900 meters from the Pacific beach. About 30 % of the land is used for construction, 40% for a well-designed exotic garden, and another 30% is available for future extensions. Because of its Polynesian architecture and the beautiful natural setting surrounded by tropical forests, Hotel Rio Mar feels like a real jungle resort. The key is Comfort in Nature and Adventure.
The hotel was built in 1993/’94 – but completely renovated in recent years (2007-2009). It offers the following facilities:
- Thirteen 4 room hotel buildings spread over the garden, totaling 52 rooms with private terrace and a simple kitchen. Twelve are junior suites (2 double beds, AC, TV), twenty are superior rooms (one double bed, one single, AC), and another twenty are standard rooms (one double or two single beds, fans). All rooms are connected with Solar panels for hotel water connection.
- Two condo apartments in front of the hotel (used by management staff).
- Sporting facilities like a tennis court (hard court), mini golf, gym, kayaks.
- A SPA building with Jacuzzi, including another junior suite (two double beds, ac) being the 53rd room.
- A 250 m2 swimming pool with wet bar.
- Reception area with offices, and in its back the lodging for the staff and bus drivers (16 huts).
- A 120-seat restaurant/bar with professional kitchen and equipment. The restaurant is nicely integrated with the pool bar.
- A brand new 60 seat air conditioned conference center close to the restaurant.
The hotel area is gated. The ten outgoing phone lines and all the rooms are operated by a modern central switchboard. There is high speed internet and cable television on the property. Construction and finishing of the accommodation is done in an exotic way with an eye for comfort, natural ventilation, and harmony with nature. It is designed for the well-off Eco-tourist from North America and Europe. The hotel is ICT licensed (ministry of Tourism) with a 3-star rating and recently received a four leaves ICT certification for sustainable tourism. Great comments from Trip advisor.